Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Textile Tuesday

I've been busy in the studio. I have quite a few projects in the works. The doll quilts, once finished, will  go here and there to decorate the room. The chimney sweep blocks I am putting together for a new queen-size quilt for the master bedroom.



My inspiration comes from one of my favorite quilt books, Quick Classic Quilts by Marsha McCloskey.


I chose the block pattern to coordinate with the stained glass in the room...


as well as the tile surrounding the fireplace. 


This project has spurred inspiration for an entire series of quilts designed around the architectural of this old house. There are plenty of interesting designs to choose from just in the front porch alone. It will be fun to see what I can create.

I also have been busy skirting fleeces. Turns out the iron patio furniture I bought last fall makes the perfect skirting table, almost like I planned it that way. The reality is the thought never even occurred to me until I slapped down that first fleece. I vacuum packed 15 fleeces in these two boxes and they are headed out to the mill for processing into roving. I'd like you to think I am just super motivated, but the project was actually spurred on by a bit of an incident.


Some of you might recall the wall of wool I had stashed in the shower?


Well, it seems there is a weight limit to what that shower door can hold. When I brought home a couple new fleeces the other day and tossed the bags in over the top, the entire mess came crashing out nearly burying me alive. I am sure it would have made for a great YouTube video reminiscent of a cartoon as I quickly turned to use my back in an attempt to keep the avalanche at bay while my legs slipped out under me and my arms braced the sides. What is it they say? Most accidents happen within the home? The shower is now empty.


I have no idea where I'll put the roving when it comes back, but for now the bathroom is a wee bit safer to enter.

14 comments:

Benita said...

What a hoot! Well, one thing to consider is that the clean wool will weight a lot less than the dirty wool. ;)

Which fiber mill do you use?

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

The mental image I have of you and the avalanche of wool is going to keep me smiling for the rest of today! I thought your wool storage system was brilliant Too bad that shower door wimped out.
Your quilts are beautiful, the house is incredible and you are getting an awful lot done for a lady with no arms!
And what Benita said....what fiber mill do you use?

Anonymous said...

What a house you found! Quilts will be wonderful in it. linda

Christine said...

I am going to try http://www.heritageflockfibermill.com this year. The owner is acquainted with the gal CP bought the Leicester Longwool's from. The place I used before is no longer processing.

Lynda said...

I have seen lots of people use the shower for storage -- - even in assisted living apartments but you are the first one I have heard that "burst at the seams"! Sounds like "I Love Lucy" when the bread baked out of the oven.
Thanks for sharing the adventures inside your beautiful house.

Tombstone Livestock said...

You are probably too young to remember "Fiber McGee's Closet", that's a funny mental picture of you trying to hold back an avalanche of fleeces. I still have 8 bags of fleece left from lasy year, and 25 bags to finish skirting and get to the mill from this year.

Elaine said...

I can just see the shower door giving way!! Your home is lovely and everything in it. I really like the rabbit pillow and th overshot pillow. Is the overshot a piece of blanket or just made to fit a pillow form.
The folks at Ohio Valley Natural Fiber do a bang up job of processing fleeces but I'm noit familiar with any more in that area. (OVNF.com)

Unknown said...

You can use the back staircase for storage! Have Mike install a door at the bottom step and throw fleece in from the second floor! Easy peasy!

Jayne said...

Oh my gosh! I can just see that shower door bursting open and all those fleeces falling out! Hahaha! I like Milah's idea of staircase storage.

Christine said...

Elaine, that's not my bed! That's just a picture of what the quilt will look like once it is finished.

Milah and Jayne, we actually use those stairs. Well, the kid actually uses those stairs, as accident prone as I am I tend to avoid them. Plus, I could see myself falling in on top and having it suck me in like quicksand.

Perhaps, gasp, I should sell some of the wool? *shudder*

Unknown said...

LOL! I can see the obit now, drowned in a sea of wool.

Well look at it this way, it would be a great place to hide when cops come looking for the lady who throws cherry tomatoes at motorcyclist. Just sayin'

Christine said...

ROTFL!

Elaine said...

Actually 10 or 12 clean fleeces is not too much. One of my friends recently had a 25 year old fleece processed. I can't imagine!! Someone gave it to her.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's hysterical!