Monday, March 26, 2012

Greener Pastures

The weather this year has been incredible. No sooner than I spread the seed in the east pasture it started to sprout.

DSC_7298

And every spring bulb and shrub is blooming a full month or so ahead of schedule. I am normally still in the planning phase of gardening, but instead we spent part of the weekend pulling weeds in the raised beds and spreading compost. In March. In Indiana. The frost date around here is, like what, May?

I feel like we’ve been sprinting to catch up with spring. The rest of the weekend we spent cleaning out the barn and coop, both major operations. Now if visitors stop by I feel I should take them there. Both places are far cleaner than the inside of the house.

Next on the list is shearing. As well as having the vet visit to give the boys their little procedures.

DSC_7261

“Gulp. Um, what exactly is a procedure,” asks Frankie? 

“Trust me little buddy, you don’t want to know.”

7 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, just look at the expression on his face, would would think he knows what's coming !
Everything is indeed looking so green, just like magic...
~Jo

Anonymous said...

Oh nooooo... RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Yes, it looks as though fly season will be here much sooner than normal. I also have 3 boys needing some "work" done. I thought I still had some time.

Tammy said...

That picture of Frankie is priceless! :-) It's the same around here--everything is busting out in bloom, growing, it's almost exhausting taking in all the beauty and color...but somehow I'll soldier through. ;-)
Tammy

Tombstone Livestock said...

Love Frankie's picture, too cute, first picture looks like it was photo shopped with makeup and cat like ears, lol.

Nancy K. said...

I HAD TO MOW MY LAWN YESTERDAY!!!
In MARCH!
In Minnesota!!!

That has just NEVER happened before.
It's been in the seventies and even eighties for the past two to three weeks and everything is green and growing here.

At least it was until today. I woke up this morning and it was COLD! I turned my furnace back on for the first time in a month and started the fireplace. The HIGH was forty-four (at midnight) and the temp has been falling all day.

I hope it doesn't come your way...

P.S. That last picture is TOO CUTE!

Ngo Family Farm said...

We've been unseasonably warm here this past week, too. It's kind of nice, but kind of scary at the same time....
-Jaime