Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Women’s Suffrage

Meet Thomas and Nancy. Nancy was never allowed to vote.

Lowe_edited-1

Now I present their daughter, Lillie and her husband Horatio. He was a local politician. Even so, Lillie was only allowed to go to the polls twice before she died.

Horation_edited-1

But their daughter? The little cutie in the photo? My great-grandmother? She was the first woman ever elected in the county and she won by a landslide.

I hope you exercised your right to vote today in honor of your grandmothers.  I did.

christinesig

11 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Amen sister!

Anonymous said...

Best blog post I've read all day. Thank you. Shelly

Kim said...

I voted but appreciated your reminder. The women whom came before us deserve it.

Lori said...

What great photos and a great message! I did my duty and voted!!

Karen Anne said...

You bet.

I was just remembering the other day about how it used to be that when a woman got married, all her property automatically became her husband's.

Unknown said...

Good for your great-grandmother!

And I voted today too!

Patsy said...

This was a wonderful post, lovely photo's of your family.

Anonymous said...

Very appropriate blog post- thank you. And yes
i did while thinking of suffrage.

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

I love this post. I wore my "I Voted Today" sticker with pride!
Bonnie Jo

Whosyergurl said...

LOVE IT! I'm fascinated with the story...I would have been one of those women out there marching, waving flags, blowing off my big mouth...you know "well behaved women rarely make history!"
xo, Cheryl

Tonia said...

That was so cool!!Loved it!