Sunday, May 16, 2010

Planted

I’m going to try posting this as quickly as possible before every muscle in my body seizes up. I feel it coming.

The pavers were left here by the previous owners, it’s nice to finally have a use for them. At some point I’ll draw up a garden plan, but for now I’ll just record here what I planted.  In the large bed in the rear we have asparagus, strawberries, roma tomatoes, basil, marjoram, parsley, marigolds, nasturtium, ornamental and birdhouse gourds. The small bed on the right contains grape tomatoes, 2 varieties of sweet peppers, onions, carrots, marigolds, nasturtium and pot marigolds. The center bed holds garlic, lettuce, Early Girl, Celebrity and Big Boy tomatoes along with nasturtium and pot marigolds. The small bed on the left contains Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Yukon Gold potatoes and marigolds.

DSC_4721

A tiny bed on the far left will be home for sugar snap peas to grow up the fence. Please ignore the grass clippings, somebody wasn’t paying attention to what they were doing.

DSC_4740 

Burpless cucumbers are growing up a recycled bench that was missing a few legs. Mint will fill this barrel.  Other barrels have Greek and Italian oregano and sage. DSC_4725

And if that weren’t enough, I’ve also been filling in holes in the landscaping.

DSC_4754

I’m done now. I’m going to go pass out. If you don’t hear from me for awhile it’s because I can no longer lift my arms to type.

DSC_4736

“But wait, you can’t be done yet” said Blanche. “Where’s our corn? We need corn! Don’t forget the corn!”

christinesig

14 comments:

Historical Ken said...

You are making my wife and my oldest son very jealous!!
Great photos, too!

Chris Simon said...

That looks like a terrific garden. I'm going to be very jealous when you start to harvest all of those great veggies!

Penny said...

Good job! It looks beautiful!!

Karen Anne said...

There is hardly anything more joyous in the normal course of day to day life than planting a veggie garden.

Karen Patrick said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog. My husband and I have almost 9 acres outside the dinky town of Bridgeton, Indiana. We have been involved in a re-forestation project for a number of years along with a large veggie garden, an herb garden and numerous (my hubby says too many) flower beds. And of course the trees. We've planted hundred of trees in the past 15 years. So, I can relate to all the physical work that is involved with living in the sticks and having a few acres to tend. Very tiring, but very rewarding. Keep up the good work. Oh, and on top of all the above, I make quilts, too.

John Going Gently said...

that is THE neatest plot I have EVER seen
x

A Brit in Tennessee said...

A wonderful job !
Love the layout and can't wait to follow the growth of the veggies.
I saw a lamb at the livestock sale last week, and begged my husband to load it up and take it home with us....sadly it was sold already.
What a cute little face yours has.

Whosyergurl said...

I am so impressed! And you don't have RAIN? Even more impressive!
Now, go take a hot bath and enjoy some rest!

Sandra Henderson said...

Okay, this may not make you feel any better, but please know that I'm trying... lol
Do all this after gettting it all over to an island by boat first! lol
No? okay, lol
Gosh, that's a lot of work! Hope you can slow down for a while and soak in a hot bath. Well, it sure does look great and we all can't wait to watch it grow! Armchair gardening at it's best! :)

Nancy K. said...

I BET you are sore! What an incredible accomplishment though. That is an awesome garden! Is there a reason for the marigolds ~ other than their bright and sunny?

Jayne said...

WOW!! That's a lot of hard work, planting all that stuff! Did the rain hold off long enough for you to get it in, or were you out there in the drizzle? Those vegetable/flower beds look fabulous! As for your poor tired muscles, I highly recommend these bath salts called Village Naturals Therapy Mineral Bath Soak. Get the one that says Aches & Pains. They're pale green and smell like menthol & camphor but they really work! (I got em at WalMart.)

Leigh said...

This post brightened my day! Looking so good. That hard work has paid off already.

Karen Anne said...

I went looking to see the benefits of marigolds in gardens, because I couldn't remember (they repel aphids and some other stuff, it turns out), and stumbled across a mention of chives helping roses resist blackspot.

I hope that works. I have tons of chives everywhere, so I'll transplant some to keep my roses company. I don't spray, so anything that can't naturally resist or tolerate diseases or pests belies up.

Unknown said...

Geez, you must be sore after that! My favorite is the two legged bench! You are SO like me, never throw anything away! I love being resourceful. Most people throw stuff like that in the dump, I pull it out and use it!
Please take pictures as your garden grows. It will be fun to watch.